Title?



Since I use Google to find out pretty much everything, I thought I should have a page of things I had to work out for myself because 'the internet' didn't seem to know. Now it will.


Saturday 10 March 2012

Asus EZ Flash "ROM ID in the file is incompatible with with existing BIOS"

Short version: Burn the new rom to CD, or try a different USB key.

I found a lot of threads about this, but none had my eventual solution. I tried to update my BIOS with every version they had on the ASUS website using the EZ Flash utility in the BIOS tools menu, having transferred them all to a USB mass storage device. Every one of them gave a "ROM ID in the file is incompatible with existing BIOS" error. After probably two hours of dicking around trying to get different DOS boot CDs to work, in a vain effort to try to use the AFUDOS to perform the update, I eventually discovered that those same images, when burnt to a CD, could be used by EZ Flash without issue.

12 comments:

  1. This was great help. Thank you.
    Your CPU wasn't compatible untill bios update, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bro em also stuck in this problem can u plz help me me with this one i also need to update cz ma cpu is also not detected

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you tried a couple of different USB keys and/or burning the update image to CD, then that's all I know to do. If it still won't let you update then I suppose you could check you are 100% sure you are using the correct image from the ASUS site. You can easily get mixed up using the image for a slightly different version of your motherboard. There are lots of variants that only differ by having an 'E' or 'Pro' on the end of their name, or something like that. You have to use the exact right one for your board. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup i m using 100% correct image bro it's 1207.rom i renamed it to this first it was maximus formulae asus1207.rom since the flashibng supports 8 characters maximum i tried awd flash it reades ma flash file but then it gives boot block is not valid.
    i used this afudos /iRF1207.rom /pbnc /nr
    usage afudos /i1207.rom /o1207.rom
    it reads file then gives boot block
    then if i use this afudos /iRF1207.rom /pbnc /n
    then it gives this error rom id file not compatible with the existing bios version.
    i m on bios 702.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sry not awd but afudos flash the engineering version 2.29.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry dude, I don't know anything about AFUDOS (I never got to the point of actually running it). Maybe try ASUS support or posting your question on a popular forum. Maybe the ASUS windows BIOS flash tool will be more helpful, but some people don't recommend using that. I would have used that myself, but it's windows only so I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. alright bro i flashed it with rampage formulae bios now i m on 1001 and i've overclocked ma cpu to 2.8ghz.thnks anyways and i did flash it with afudos and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FYI, I found a post on ASUS support forum. Apparently EZ Flash Utility can't correctly read a NTFS formatted USB drive (or any other drive). So you have to reformat your USB drive to FAT32. This did it for me.
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the contribution. Presumably if I was creating the boot key in Linux, this would have used FAT32, or perhaps it would use the filesystem from the ISO image? Anyway thanks for posting, this could definitely help someone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was getting the same error but I hadn't selected the exact right model. Mine was a P7P55D-E, but the Asus website (dutch) didnt show that exact model only P7P55D and P7P55D-E Premium. I had to go to the international Asus website to find my exact model. Then it all worked normally.

    ReplyDelete